On 13. March 2008 I will be embarking, together with 12 of my colleagues, on an expedition to Antarctica, sponsored Akzo Nobel, and led by the famed polar explorer Robert Swan.

This is my story – not only of the expedition and its aftermath, but also of the journey that culminated in this amazing opportunity...

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Back Home

Got back home! Chicago winter is still in its full glory – still zero degrees Celsius at the approach of April! But, some how zero feels warmer than before. On the way home the taxi driver asked where I am flying in from. I had to think about it for a second before I could answer. I unpacked! There is a stench mountain in the corner of the bedroom. Everything I took with me has been used and used again during the expedition. During the trip home I wore the freshest set of clothes – which was relative at that point – I had with me.

The pictures and some random memories tell me I had an amazing last couple of weeks. But, the mind is not so sure. I feel a hole in the timeframe. I find myself roaming around the house, with no known purpose, from one room to another, sitting on the couch, the bed, the study chair or the floor. At each place I try to convince myself the whereabouts of the last two weeks. I almost achieve it, before the grandeur of the experience reasons with my mind and question its sanity. I am still in the expedition mode. My phone is off and still liking it. Only made couple of calls to the dearest ones. Feels very tired! I could sleep for hours. I don’t know why! I am longing for some uninterrupted sleep. No wake-up calls, no excursions, no sightings I don’t want to miss, no hikes I dare not avoid. All I want now is just 24 hours of pure boredom that could justify a long sleep. Is that too much to ask for? Occasionally you feel the floor swaying beneath you. You brace yourself against the wall and wonder how strong is the wind outside. I feel under-dressed just wearing one layer of clothing. My feet tinkles as my barefoot, which have been in a pair of shoes around the clock for the last two weeks, rub against the carpet. Amazing how I never noticed before the soothing therapeutic effect of my carpet. The rooms and the walls feel so closed in. I looked around for the button that opens the roof up, to no avail. The water from the refrigerator feels unusually warm. I checked to make sure that the knob is turned to the right spot, and it was. Few minutes ago I experienced the feeling of déjà vu, trying to put the jacket in the closet. I thought for a few moments why that feeling was absent for the last two weeks. The TV looks shockingly unappealing and useless! I don’t even reach for the remote. Note to myself – see a doctor if the symptom persists. Thought about checking my email couple of times. Pounding headache, each time! I saved the drudgery for a more lucid day. I am slowly becoming aware of complex information such as what day and date it is. Today is Sunday and tomorrow is Moan-day. But, looking on the bright side, I will have a chance then to torment my poor colleagues with repeat stories of glaciers, whales, penguins, icebergs, hiking, camping, rough seas and “Last week at this time I was…..” Oh God, I can’t wait for Moanday.

No comments: